Jan 19, 2009

Welcome to Gluten-Free Girlfriend

Welcome to Gluten-Free Girlfriend! I'd like to take the first post to introduce myself and my family. My name is Laura, and I am the Gluten-Free Girlfriend. My sweet Celiac boyfriend is Christopher, AKA Tummy boy. We're young adults and are looking forward to a lifetime of happiness together.

When Tummy Boy and I started dating he had warned me that his stomach is bad sometimes and he just gets sick sometimes randomly. He has been battling stomach issues his entire life, and when he went to the doctor's they told him it was stress, or IBS, and to basically just deal with it.

After a few months of dating, life handed him some big changes and at that point his intestines decided they have had enough. He got very ill, was hospitalized and given a battery of tests, and even ended up missing work for a month. I was so scared as we got possible diseases and conditions thrown at us right and left. (Stomach cancer? bleeding ulcers? hepatitis?) During this time he was told to live on a diet of dry pasta, dry toast, and bananas, and we couldn't understand why he wasn't getting better!

His doctor finally took him seriously and really explored what could be wrong with him. We consider ourselves lucky because eventually a Celiac test was ordered, and an endoscopy, and then it was a confirmed diagnosis of Celiac Disease. Not stomach cancer, but Woah.

Since then, we battle the 'evil' Gluten monster every day. After many months of it, we're getting pretty good- so I bring you Gluten-Free girlfriend to share our successes and secrets.

Sincerely,
Gluten-Free Girlfriend (& Tummy Boy)

2 comments:

  1. You are too sweet. Tummy Boy is a very lucky boy! Found your link on Gluten-Free Girl's facebook page. Glad I checked it out. Please keep posting the recipes. Can't wait to try them out!

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra,

    Thank you so much for your support; I'm glad the recipe ideas were helpful. I'm planning on filling February with plenty of tips and recipes for this romantic season. Have a great month!

    Sincerely,
    Gluten-Free Girlfriend (& Tummy Boy)

    ReplyDelete